The latest letter to COSLA has been sent to your email address here is a summary:
Summary of claim
Our claim is for:
• A one year settlement that runs for the period 1 April 2024 to 31 March 2025.
• For those on the lowest pay – an above inflation increase in line with the aspiration, agreed with UNISON in November 2023, to achieve implementation of a minimum rate of pay for all
Local Government workers of £15 per hour by 1 April 26.
• An increase of 7% to all spinal column points (or an increase of £1.60 to the hourly rate
whichever is greater) and related allowances.
• Urgent progress to be made on the review, established as part of our 2021 settlement, on how we achieve a no detriment reduction in the working week to enable members to achieve a better work-life balance.
• A review of the scope and level of the Distant Islands Allowance.
• No less than parity with other local government bargaining groups.
• Early commencement of negotiations with a clear expectation of settlement implementation by 1 April review date.
The claim is set at a level that we believe recognises the following key points:
• The RPI rate, at the time of writing, is sitting at 5.2%2;
• The last two years have seen the steepest rises in the cost of living facing workers in over 40 years;
• The Treasury average of independent forecasts states that RPI inflation will average 4.4% over 20243;
• Appropriate reward is needed to sustain the morale of staff in their crucial role of delivering high quality services at a time of increased workload and stress placed on staff against a background of unprecedented changes in working practices, financial pressures and high vacancy rates.